Application Deadline: June 30, 2019
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus, one of four campuses in the University of Colorado System, is the major academic medical center in the Rocky Mountain region. The Anschutz Medical Campus is home to the University of Colorado Hospital, Children's Hospital Colorado and a new Veterans Affairs Hospital, making it one of the largest and most comprehensive biomedical research and clinical care centers in the western United States. With world-class health sciences research, educational and clinical facilities, the CU School of Medicine has established distinctive and highly productive programs, receiving research awards of more than $350 million per year, including more than $200 million from National Institutes of Health and other federal agencies. The School's total annual clinical and research revenue exceeds $1.2 billion per year.
The University of Colorado School of Medicine, Department of Psychiatry has just welcomed their new Department Chair, C. Neill Epperson, MD and is in the process of growing the Department of Psychiatry with new programs and expanding existing programs.
The Department of Psychiatry at the University of Colorado School of Medicine is seeking to hire a new Director for the University of Colorado Health (UCH) Psychiatric Outpatient Service. The Director of this rapidly growing outpatient service, which is the primary clinical training site for University of Colorado School of Medicine psychiatry residents during their PGY 3 year, will report directly to the Vice Chair for Clinical Services and Initiatives who reports directly to the Chair of the Department of Psychiatry. The UCH Psychiatric Outpatient Service includes faculty and clinical staff from multiple behavioral health disciplines to create a team-based model of care for patients with psychiatric disorders across the lifespan. The Director is responsible for the overall clinical, educational and fiscal excellence of the program.
MINIMUM EDUCATION CREDENTIALS/LICENSE/DEGREE REQUIRED:
Colorado Medical License, DEA Certificate, Board Certified in Psychiatry, subspecialty certification preferred.
MINIMUM EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
The ideal candidate is board certified in psychiatry by the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology, has at least 2 years of experience as an educator in psychiatric residency training or supervision of residents in the outpatient setting and experience in the fiscal management of an outpatient clinical service line. Demonstrated experience in multi-disciplinary training environments and management of diverse treatment teams is desired as is an appreciation for developmental psychopathology and the promotion of resilience as organizing principles for training and clinical care
SCOPE OF POSITION:
POSITION REPORTS TO (TITLE):
Vice Chair for Clinical Services and Initiatives, Department of Psychiatry
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
· Is responsible for the clinical care of patients in the outpatient setting, including application of evidence-based treatments, quality care metrics, especially screening and assessment of patient outcomes.
· Is involved in teaching the biological basis of behavior and a wide-range of evidence-based psychotherapy treatments, including but not limited to prolonged exposure therapy (and other trauma focused treatments), cognitive behavior therapy, exposure response prevention therapy, interpersonal and psychodynamic psychotherapy, family and couples therapy.
· Excellent knowledge in the biological underpinnings of pharmacotherapies and the training of residents in the appropriate use of all psychotropic medications.
· Supports appropriate involvement of educators from psychoanalytic traditions in the residency training experience.
· Provides excellent liaison with medical colleagues in the UCH community.
· Ability to develop new clinical programming to meet the needs of a growing patient population.
· Manages and supervises non-trainee clinicians evaluating and treating patients in the UCH Outpatient Clinical Service.
· Works with the finance and operations officials in the UCHealth system and the Department of Psychiatry at the University of Colorado School of Medicine to create and discuss financial documents summarizing service billing and revenue with Department and Health System leadership.
· Works with interdisciplinary educators to promote the growth and well-being of interdisciplinary training programs such as practicum and intern programs in psychology and social work.
· Facility with telepsychiatry services and their integration into an outpatient setting
· Can work with clinicians in other medical settings to implement or enhance integrated care models.
· Demonstrates Ability to Integrate Teaching and Mentoring of Trainees into clinical practice
This may include:
- The design and implementation of supervision models.
- Educational activities in practice management.
- Direct observation of patient/trainee encounters.
- Collaborative mentoring, including development and oversight of productivity measures for trainees.
· Actively Contributes to Academic Advancement
- Has a specific academic focus pertinent to psychiatric outpatient services.
- Adheres to promotion criteria regarding productivity.
- Keeps abreast of the latest developments in field, both academically and through applied skill.
- Maintains eligibility for SOM faculty appointment.
- Encourages and supports trainees in their academic development.
· Demonstrates Leadership
- Provides leadership, guidance, and professional mentoring for trainees, faculty and staff.
- Responsibility for clinic financial stability, compliance with Federal, State and Institution requirements.
- Provides conflict resolution and other management skill training for all participants in program.
- Enforces policies involving trainees, staff and faculty with finesse.
- Provides monthly stats regarding productivity and fiscal status of the clinic.
- Works collaboratively with residency training and UCH clinical programs.
- Works with CU Medicine on promotion of appropriate contracting for services and the promotion of new services such as IOP programming.
- Works with CU medicine to facilitate optimal utilization of resources
- Serves on School of Medicine, Hospital and Residency committees.
Applications accepted at: https://www.cu.edu/cu-careers - click on Search for Career Opportunities and enter Job Number: 14824.
13001 E. 17th Pl, Mail Stop F546
Aurora, CO 80045