<< Back to awards listing
George Ginsberg Fellowship Awards
Submission Deadline: September 09
Nomination and Selection Process Guidelines
NOTE: 2021 winners were recognized at the 2021 virtual Spring Conference and will be invited to attend the 2022 Annual Meeting.
The AADPRT/George Ginsberg Fellowship, funded by AADPRT, acknowledges the excellence and accomplishments of outstanding residents interested in education and teaching who are pursuing careers as clinician-educators and/or academic administrators.
Fellowships will be awarded to five outstanding applicants. (Two regions with the lowest number of applications will be combined with other regions to create five approximately equal groups.) Winners will be invited to attend the AADPRT Annual Meeting at AADPRT’s expense. Opportunities will be given for Ginsberg fellows to continue to develop their interest in teaching and education or subspecialty residency.
- Must be in an approved general or child and adolescent psychiatry residency program or in a psychiatry subspecialty fellowship
- Must be a resident or fellow at time of nomination and award presentation (March of the following year)
- Must demonstrate excellence in teaching
- Must intend to pursue a career as a clinician-educator and/or academic-administrator.
Institutions may nominate one candidate from their general psychiatry residency program, one from the child and adolescent psychiatry residency, or one from an accredited subspecialty psychiatry fellowship program.
- Each institution may submit only one (1) nomination per eligible year (e.g. institutions may not submit a general residency nomination and a subspecialty nomination, or multiple subspecialty nominations).
- Residents who have completed a general psychiatry residency program are not eligible for nomination unless in a child and adolescent psychiatry or in an accredited subspecialty psychiatry fellowship, (i.e., PGY-V chief residents are ineligible).
- Institutions whose nominees have received AADPRT/George Ginsberg Fellowships are ineligible to nominate candidates for the next two (2) nomination cycles.
Nomination must include:
1. Completed online form (view sample form)
2. Nominating letter from training director or department chair (similar in substance to “Dean’s Letter” with specific sections on clinical skills in residency, involvement in teaching and/or curriculum development, and leadership related to teaching). Letters may include evaluations of clinical rotations and teaching as well as comments from other faculty members. The letter should include approval to attend the AADPRT Annual Meeting.
Nomination Letter Sample
3. Candidate executive summary outlining experiences to date that have led to their application, their overarching philosophy of education, and career aims (800 word limit)
Executive Summary Sample
4. Applicant's Curriculum Vitae - Please use the AADPRT Biosketch Template for the applicant's CV. There is also a sample CV for guidance. This is based on the NIH biosketch.
5. Sample of candidate’s teaching materials: e.g., outlines of talks, PowerPoint slides, syllabi of courses (ABSOLUTE limit of ten pages—reviewers will not look at additional pages)
Teaching Material Sample
Program directors and institutions of residents submitting nominations must be members in good standing with AADPRT (i.e., current institution and individual membership dues must be paid).
Applications will be evaluated in the following areas:
1. Clinical skills in residency
2. Involvement in teaching and/or curriculum development
3. Leadership related to teaching
4. Publication and/or workshop (including abstracts, posters) with an education focus
5. Quality/creativity of teaching materials
6. Quality of the executive summary
The online nomination system is open to Training Director Members only.
Please be prepared to upload all necessary documents.
A confirmation email will be sent TO THE SUBMITTER ONLY (training director) when the complete electronic submission is received. If the training director does not receive a confirmation within two business days, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
All requests for confirmation must be received before the deadline. Materials will not be accepted or considered after the deadline.
Submission Deadline: September 09